2[extremeprogramming] Re: Elves in the Night [Stupid XP Question Number 6614]

  • Robert C. Martin
    Jan 3, 2000
      <brougham2@...> wrote in message
      > "Phlip" <new_email@...> wrote:
      >
      > >BTW IS ANYONE GONNA ANSWER THE ACTUAL QUESTION??? ("Should software
      > >dev run in 3 shifts if you actually need a little speed, and if so
      > >will XP grease the system or hurt it?")
      >
      > I had assumed the question was facetious. I see no advantage in using
      three
      > shifts. Just triple the number of people working during the day.
      > Obviously, if one woman takes nine months to bear a child, three women
      can
      > get the job done in three months.

      The advantage is that you need one third the resources, i.e. space,
      desks,
      computers, licenses, etc.

      > If you're constantly having to document unfinished work at the end of
      each
      > shift, and then having to review what went on without your knowledge
      at
      the
      > beginning, I can easily see a highly efficient programmer losing 25%
      of
      his
      > time just on the extra overhead of difficult communications. So
      having
      > three shifts might double your production. And that's assuming
      everybody
      is
      > communicating effectively.

      If you are pair programming, and if your shifts overlap by 50%, then the
      communications overhead should be minimal. At shift change only one
      member
      of each pair changes. Thus, continuity can be preserved.

      Of course I've never tried this, or seen it tried, so its speculation on
      my
      part.

      --

      Robert C. Martin | OO Mentoring | Training Courses:
      Object Mentor Inc. | rmartin@... | OOD, Patterns, C++,