18505Re: Architecture for XP and scalable web sites

  • Keith Richardson
    Jan 1, 2001
      --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, "John Brewer" <jbrewer@j...>
      wrote:
      > --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, "Keith Richardson"
      <keith@s...>
      > wrote:
      > > A highly scalable web site must be able to automate
      > > persistance of session and environment data, allow deployment to
      be
      > > easily adjusted and many other features that EJBs (and more
      > > completely J2EE) provides.
      >
      > Don't believe all of Sun's hype. EJBs aren't done yet. In
      > particular, the current state of entity beans leaves lots to be
      > desired.
      >
      > I've heard of at least one XP project that ended up removing the
      > entity beans from their system because of performance problems.
      > Fortunately, they had the well-factored code and corresponding
      tests
      > to make that possible. I believe they eventually eliminated all
      the
      > fancy app-server stuff from their code, allowing them to deploy
      using
      > an inexpensive servlet container.

      I have also heard of some projects having these problems. I would
      love to hear about architectures that have worked. I will be
      developing Web site frameworks that will be deployed by our clients
      so the solution must scale to fit a wide range of clients. I have
      heard many success stories of J2EE/WebLogic scaling exceptionally
      well and any alternative architecture must be just as good.
      Suggestions?
      Keith Richardson
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic