159156Re: [XP] Interfacing with Legacy or non-agile teams

  • Adam Sroka
    Jun 27, 2014
      Very good advice. Possibly not enough in the very common scenario where the real business logic lives in the legacy system and the client is mostly UI and plumbing. There are both technical and interpersonal communication issues likely here. It wouldn't be unusual if nobody really knew what the mainframe was doing or why.

      On Friday, June 27, 2014, Phlip phlip2005@... [extremeprogramming] <extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > For example: our core business engine is on mainframe and making any change to that
      > system to test the interfaces takes months. My agile front end teams are impacted due to this
      > bottleneck.

      Regardless why isn't this team also writing unit tests & going in small iterations...

      This is the same question as "my hardware is opaque & I can't TDD straight through it." It's a project topology problem, so you need more mocks & emulators in your tests that interact with your code the same way the real deal does.

      Done right, this code could come to constrain the mainframe indirectly. If, for example, it disagrees with its emulator over some detail, the mainframe could be the wrong one!

      (On a project besotted with hardware & emulation issues right now;)

      --
        Phlip

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic