159132Re: [XP] Fwd: Go-to stats on CI/CD

  • Rob Park
    Apr 8, 2014

      On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 5:05 AM, Francis Fish <francis@...> wrote:

      My worry is that this is a stalking horse for a big-bang implementation. The skill to do this needs to be acquired and then spread out through the enterprise - there is a cost in this adoption and gaining the understanding necessary to make it work. You can't just go and buy it.

      I think it would be better to gain your own stats from a small project and learn what the issues are for your specific organisation. No two organisations are the same.

      +1 This is great!

      When we work with something as complex as software and organisational change there is no such thing as "Best" practice. Only good practice that comes from experience and can always be made better and more specific in the context of what you already know and are capable of.

      For example the standards for an e-commerce web site in comparison with something that is realtime medical software are completely different.

      Just my couple of pence.

      On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 9:55 AM, Wouter Lagerweij <wouter@...> wrote:

      Hi Peter,

      I can't help you directly (my projects are a little smaller than google's:-) but I have seen some presentations coming from salesforce a few years back that had similar data. You might be able to use those. They at least give a few code-coverage numbers in presentations (ie. http://www.slideshare.net/sgreene/dreamforce-2008-behindthescenes-salesforcecom-rd-how-we-deliver-3-major-releases-a-year-presentation ) and mention CI. I think there's some article available, but I don't have them here. You can probably google them up.

      Wouter

      On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 4:39 PM, Chet Hendrickson <lists@...> wrote:

      Chet Hendrickson

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: Chet Hendrickson <chet@...>
      Subject: Re: Go-to stats on CI/CD
      Date: April 4, 2014 at 10:37:54 AM EDT

      Hi,

      The XP group may be a better source for this sort of data.  extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com

      Chet

      On Apr 3, 2014, at 2:04 PM, Peter Green <tptmanpeter@...> wrote:

      Hi all,

      I'm putting together a pitch to some execs at Adobe on upping our use of CI across some big products. I was thinking a few industry benchmark stats might be useful (e.g. Facebook runs xxx tests on their continuous deployment system, etc., ).

      Does anyone have some stats that they use in such a situation that they'd be willing to share?

      For example, I found this on Google's CI system:
      ● 15000+ developers in 40+ offices
      ● 4000+ projects under active development
      ● 5500+ submissions per day on average
      ● Single monolithic code tree with mixed language code
      ● Development on one branch - submissions at head
      ● All builds from source
      ● 20+ sustained code changes per minute with 60+ peaks
      ● 50% of code changes monthly
      ● 75+ million test cases run per day

      ---Peter

      Thanks and Regards,

      Francis

      07764 225 942

      "So when targets seem stupid, arbitrary and unfair it's because they are. The only way to improve is to look at the whole system people are operating with, the basic tools, their training, how much initiative they are allowed, are you measuring the right things (more about that later) and then you can improve. But it's the *system* you improve, not the people you beat into performing even worse." Unicorns in the mist

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic