158974Re: [XP] Taking it back

  • Charlie Poole
    Feb 28, 2014
      Hi John,

      Trimming...

      Back on topic: I'm not asking for rants, and I'm only blaming you
      (plural) for one thing relating to FA: The refusal to say, explicitly
      and unambiguously, that the only way we know of to become agile is XP.
      That refusal is a significant factor in enabling FA.

      If I'm wrong about that being the only way we're aware of to achieve
      agility, then please, point me at alternative ways; given how hard it
      is to convince people of XP's merits, I'd *love* to have an
      alternative.

      I can't speak for "we" but xp or something very suspiciously like it is the
      only way I know to become agile. So that's what I do. That's what I suggest
      to people who are looking for suggestions. I don't preach about it and I
      don't even always tell people that what they are doing is XP.

      I have a fairly strong sense of needing to establish a relationship with folks
      and then fulfill the terms of that relationship. If the nature of the relationship
      is that I have agreed to teach XP, that's what I do. If it's that I'm supposed
      to help the team get better, I do that. Telling people who haven't asked me
      how they ought to work does not fit into my view of how things work.

      > Another branch is doing the ceremony but not really being agile. The
      > latter sometimes arises when people are simply given a list of things
      > and told to do them.

      That's not what I'm advocating. What I am advocating is "...given a
      list of things", but not "and told to do them" (in the sense of "told
      to do them" that I think you mean; essentially "Do it or else" from
      someone in authority).

      What's driving me crazy is that all of the writing about Agile I've
      seen goes to incredible lengths to avoid advocating, or frequently even
      mentioning, XP, when it's the only way I know of to _get_ to agility.

      Avoiding coercion is one thing, but it feels to me like agile has gone
      way too far in the opposite direction from coercion.

      It's pretty tricky to try to characterize "agile" in any way. It's a lot of different
      things to different people. Some say it no longer means anything. I think it
      actually does, but my definition would probably not satisfy you, since it
      doesn't include any particular practices.

      XP is not dead. Lots of us still do it. We had a thread about that a while
      back and the number of folks who still call what they do XP was quite
      surprising, considering how little you read about it these days. But it
      all seems to be getting done very quietly. I don't know why that is, but
      I like it better than a lot of the noise I hear about "scalable" agility, etc.

      Charlie

      -John

      --
      John Maxwell KB3VLL jmax@...

      "Personally I'm fond of using Dedekind cuts for representing the Reals,
      but it gets cumbersome to use when balancing one's checkbook."
      -Charles Haynes

    • Show all 197 messages in this topic