158967Re: [XP] Taking it back

  • Leonardo Postacchini
    Feb 28, 2014
      Ron,

      Yes, I have to justify to management, to the "product owner", to the devel director, to the company owner, yes, I had at least once have to fight for tests, for standart on code style, for source control, use of exception to signal errors in C#(yes people were returning error code and storing in an error object in a static var the error info, they didn't "trust" exceptions) ...

      My current status is:
      - source control: tantative I still have to fix stuff due to people sending changes of the zipped project by e-mail unversioned instead of using, patches, bundles, direct repository access(we are using HG);
      - automated tests: battle almost certainly lost, the only tests in one of the application are those I write, there are some non unit tests written as junit that causes us to have to compile with mvn -DskipTests, our director once actually said he didn't see the need we see in automated tests, manually testing it is ok for him, I mean actual point and clicking in stuff instead JUnit;
      - daily standups, biweekly to monthly...
      - build tools, ugly, managed to sneak in maven builds on almost all projects, but there are some that are FUBARed;
      - code style ok;

      That has being my reality, yes, in some places I had it a lot easier, but being allowed to pair?! Never mind. Sweet dreams. Having the customer with us? I was actually laughed at for that one.

      On 28 February 2014 07:00, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      Kannan,

      On Feb 28, 2014, at 3:58 AM, Rajaraman Kannan <leokannan@...> wrote:

      Thanks for replying back. I need to get the organization buy in on this. The team members are happy to try that out. But , I am in a position to justify this to the management.

      Why do you want to justify pair programming to management? Do you also plan to justify use of semicolons at the end of statements, use of source control, writing of tests ...
      Perfectionism is the voice of the oppressor -- Anne Lamott

    • Show all 197 messages in this topic