158857Re: [XP] ROI of "Engineering Practices"

  • Steven Gordon
    Dec 5, 2013
      Are the projects currently being coached showing reduction in defects and/or shorter cycle times?  If not, why not?

      Does the organization even know what their defect rate and cycle times are in those same projects before coaching?

      I originally interpreted the question as how does one compute the actual monetary value of defect and cycle time reduction in order to compare that with the cost of coaching.  Is that wrong, and management is questioning whether the improvements will happen, not whether the improvements are worth the cost?  Or is it both?

      On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 8:07 AM, Charlie Poole <charliepoole@...> wrote:

      Yes. That's what my questions to Phlip's comment were hinting at.

      I haven't had good results from assuming that people who don't immediately agree with me are dumb, so I've tried to stop doing that. You're asking yourself "Why would a smart manager _not_ want to do this?" and you have come up with a reasonable answer you could use in discussions with them. Can the manager you're trying to coach do that? If not, can you get in the room with him to help?

      Charlie

      On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 6:55 AM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

      I've worked with a lot of finance people in the past, and for the most part they are intelligent, driven people. They don't tend to believe they know everything and don't expect to have expert knowledge in the subjects presented to them. They do tend to think that they have the instincts and experience to tell a good investment from a bad one and that their giant paychecks prove that.

      The challenge here is trying to prove that transforming the teams in order to be able to adopt XP practices effectively is an investment worth more than what it will cost them over the next year to start doing it.

      On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 2:05 AM, Charlie Poole <charliepoole@...> wrote:

      What would they want if they were smart?

      What might happen if we assume they are?

      Charlie

      On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 9:24 PM, Phlip <phlip2005@...> wrote:

      I suspect these bosses are resigned to Big Expense Up Front.

    • Show all 34 messages in this topic