158847Re: [XP] ROI of "Engineering Practices"

  • Adam Sroka
    Dec 4, 2013
      Hi Laurent:

      On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Laurent Bossavit <lolists@...> wrote:

      Hi Adam,

      > In order to present the justification to his management this client has asked for information regarding the return on investment for adopting these practices.

      A few questions come to mind...

      What is the current budget for ongoing training for devs, and what is it currently being spent on? Has this training cleared the same ROI hurdle? How was that done?

      I don't have that information, but I like the direction you are going. I will be spending some time with the client next week and I think getting a better understanding of what his management expects from this report will be useful.

      Instead of asking for more money, it might be an easier sell to request freedom to reallocate existing budgets as your client sees fit.

      I don't know enough about the process to know if that is feasible. We have a vested interest in seeing the budget expand because some of that money will probably come to us, but if the budget doesn't expand I doubt that will be the end of the engagement.

      This assumes there is an existing budget, and that it is allocated with an eye to maximizing (or at least satisficing) ROI, rather than (say) on the basis of corporate politics. If either assumption is false, that's your problem right there... and "information regarding the return on investment" might be a fool's errand.

      I don't have enough insight into how these guys think. If it were me I would want to hear a compelling story about what the end state we were going for would look like and what steps were being taken to get us there. My impression, however, is this is the type of audience who want to see numbers and graphs.

      I think corporate politics are a big part of it. This is a large corporation with very deep pockets, and while the sum of money being discussed is considerable it is a drop in the bucket for the organization.
    • Show all 34 messages in this topic