158830Re: [XP] How to estimate the production capacity for a release XP

  • Ks Vernogo
    Nov 24, 2013
      Thank you, helped a lot!
      My teacher spent a year 32 issues, but was unable to do both of these issues and more. Not very fond of asking in forums because it seems you are too lazy to do their own exercise. but it is not, I have proof and I'm in doubt Agum another point. I know it's too much to ask help again if it is too inconvenient can speak, I understand. If not, please help me in this other questão.Obrigada.

      Is there any formula? I could not find.

      Given the information below, estimate the capacity
      production team for the first release and the first iteration.

      · Size of releases = 2 months;
      · Number of releases = 5;
      · Size of iterations = 2 weeks;
      · Team Size = 8.

      Em Domingo, 24 de Novembro de 2013 21:58, John Roth <JohnRoth1@...> escreveu:

      Hi,

      I'd like to make two points here:

      First, did the first iteration end with a production-quality deployable? By that I don't mean that it was deployed into production, but that it could be deployed without violating the organization's standards for production. Put another way, it's one sign-off (or one button-push) away from going in for real.

      If that isn't the case, then the estimates are fiction.

      Second, a feasible schedule has to include slack, by which I mean that there are stories which are known to be at risk if problems occur. A schedule that does not include slack is a schedule which is not only looking for trouble, but is laying out the welcome mat, setting the table and inviting it in.

      Given the proposed schedule, you need at least 16 points worth of stories that are accepted by all stakeholders to be at risk for not making the first release. If there are, you don't need to do anything. If there aren't, you need to do some triage and identify at least 16 points worth of stories that are at risk of not making the release, and make sure they're scheduled for the last iteration.

      Since one of the features of XP is that feedback from each release is used to determine the contents of the next release, you don't have a scheduled story list for the following releases, and you can wait a few iterations to determine if the shortfall on planned velocity was real or a statistical fluctuation.

      If the shortfall in productivity is real, and there are "must-have" features that won't make the final release, there are a couple of things that can be done, one of which is to add another release or two. Adding to staff is also possible as long as you are prepared to deal with Brooks Law: Adding staff to a late software project makes it later. In other words, you need to add staff early enough so that the productivity hit you'll take bringing them up to full productivity will be absorbed into the added productivity later.

      Hope this helps.

      John Roth

      On 11/24/13 12:32 PM, ksvernogo@... wrote:

      [Brasil......Sorry if you do not understand something]

      Given the information below, estimate the capacity
      production team for the first release and the first iteration.

      · Size of releases = 2 months;
      · Number of releases = 5;
      · Size of iterations = 2 weeks;
      · Team Size = 8.

      Any explanation helps

      ___Se A team specified that the first iteration is capable of doing 24
      points, but after completing it did 20, which should be done to
      calculate the capacity of the team to the next iteration?

      ___Se In a release has not been possible to develop all requirements
      which were established for her, what should be done?

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic