158806Re: [XP] Agile Impressions by Gerald M. Weinberg

  • Adam Sroka
    Oct 31 7:56 PM
      Hi Ron:

      Thanks for the info. One of these days someone has to interview all of you guys about how it started and write it all down before you all forget ;-)

      BTW, I didn't write that, it was a question from Marco in a post I responded to. Somehow it got misattributed. I blame email munging gerbils.

      On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 7:50 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      Hi Adam,

      On Oct 31, 2013, at 8:08 PM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

      By the way, the following question would be in order: Do you remember, Ron, where in the eXtreme Programming literature could I read about the historical roots that lead to this particular form of IID called eXtreme Programming?
      I just checked XP Explained 2nd Ed., and your XP Installed, but I find little from a historical perspective.

      There’s not much written history that I know of, and most of it is revisionist (IMO). XP as a “thing” started on the Chrysler C3 project, 1996ff. I don’t recall just when between 96 and 00 Kent named it XP, though I recall him telling me that he had come up with this cool name.

      I believe that most of the programming practices had been done between Ward and Kent “long” prior to then, and surely elsewhere in the world, especially in Smalltalk. Kent reported that he borrowed some of the planning ideas from … oh hell, I forget the guy’s name … and Jeff Sutherland claims that he has a note from Kent saying he was borrowing them from Scrum. A lot of that stuff was in the wind.

      Me, I do not claim to have invented any of the good stuff. Any errors anywhere in Agile are mine, but they are Chet’s fault.

      Obviously incremental and iterative projects had been around a long time, and therefore some amount of simple design / design improvement / refactoring stuff must have been done, and that’s kind of how everyone worked in Smalltalk. The Smalltalk world was all about building up the thing. There was, in essence, no way you could program for a long time and then put it into the computer: it’s all just one integrated system all the time.

      Only rather late in Smalltalk’s history did anyone even invent the ideas of branching and checking in and out in any large-scale way. Up till then you saved your stuff on files and loaded it in. Mostly you worked on a live system making it better.

      There was a lot going on in patterns, both in the portland school and elsewhere. Jim Coplien was in there somewhere, perhaps inventing all of it. He’s smart enough to have done so, I should think.

      Really, I think it was in the wind. I’m lucky to have been blown along with it, and I wish the economy, the business exigencies, and the egos had not gotten in the way of keeping it all more together.

      Water under the over now, I guess.

      Ron Jeffries
      I'm really pissed off by what people are passing off as "agile" these days.
      You may have a red car, but that does not make it a Ferrari.
        -- Steve Hayes

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic