158763Spike stories - estimation and acceptance criteria ?

  • Ram Srinivasan
    Aug 23, 2013
      Hello Folks,

      My understanding is that there are 2 types of spikes - technical and
      functional. And that spike stories need not have an estimate (as they are
      time boxed to 1-2 days), and cannot be estimated (in story points), because
      it is research work, if we know what to do, we would build the feature and
      not do a spike. Is my understanding correct?

      Does Ron's 3Cs (Card, Confirmation, Conversation) apply to spike stories as
      well? Common sense tells me yes, and there is no harm. The acceptance
      criteria for a technical spike may be something like "the DB should be
      able to support 500K transactions without locking tables". Sometimes it may
      not be possible to have acceptance criteria, its research work, you are
      investigating it. I was looking at c2.com and xp123.com, but I could not
      find relevant material which could confirm my understanding