158706Re: [XP] Rise & Fall of Design Patterns:Lessons to learn?

  • Sean Corfield
    Jul 24, 2013
      On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:
      > The original GoF patterns are useful to learn, even though many of them are
      > solving limitations in the language rather than actual problems in the
      > domain of your product.

      Indeed. If you work primarily in FP languages, rather than OOP
      languages, several of those "patterns" are either built into the
      language or are simply irrelevant. A few of them apply as-is, some
      apply in a different form.

      I remember when the GoF book came out and it was quite revolutionary
      at the time ('94, as I recall?) - the OOP world was evolving very
      rapidly back then (late 80's thru mid-90's) and there were a lot of
      exciting things happening, interesting conferences and technical
      papers, ground-breaking books, etc. In the decades since, that's all
      become just part of the accepted canon of OOP wisdom and we talk about
      it a lot less.

      As we see the resurgence of FP, it will be interesting to see if we
      get a similar spike of excitement and new material. I suspect we won't
      because FP has been around for so long in the background, although we
      are seeing interesting conferences focusing on FP (The Strange Loop is
      fairly heavily FP-focused, Lambda Jam recently was a great FP-focused
      cross-language event). We have a whole generation of OOP developers
      who will have to unlearn a lot of "bad habits" and learn a whole new
      way of thinking - ironically the previous generation take to FP more
      easily, in my experience, because they knew other styles of
      programming before OOP!

      After the initial fuss around Design Patterns died down, the Patterns
      community moved on to codify and categorize patterns in process in a
      (mostly) technology-neutral way and that seems to be an area that
      never got as much interest from the broader software development
      community as it deserved. Nice to see some mention of that aspect of
      patterns in this thread.
      --
      Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

      "Perfection is the enemy of the good."