158613[XP] Re: Origins of user stories

  • JeffGrigg
    Apr 1, 2013
      --- Steven Gordon <sgordonphd@...> wrote:
      > The main point is that it is often necessary to factor
      > in stakeholders involved beyond the direct users. If there
      > are a lot of stakeholders with competing interests, ...

      The "stakeholder" thing can be overdone, if we're not careful.

      Yes, I see the value of identifying all stakeholders, and considering their interests. And, generally, it's a good idea to strive to satisfy all of them.

      But let's consider a corner case:
      - The prisoners are stakeholders in a jail.

      Yes, I can conceive of all kinds of wonderful ways in which prisoner stakeholder input can make prisons a much more humane and successful institution. But face it: The typical prisoner's primary value would be to be set free, to do what they want. And that's not exactly what we're trying to achieve with the whole "jail" thing.

      Some stakeholder desires may not be the kinds of things we are trying to achieve.

      It may be healthy to mediate "stakeholder input" with "we are getting paid $X to accomplish 'Y'." Hey; some people may just not like that.
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic