158612Re: Origins of user stories

  • JeffGrigg
    Apr 1, 2013

      --- Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
      > That's not what Agile says. That's not what XP says.

      That doesn't make it untrue.

      I would have to agree that the ideal situation is that the Customer (who speaks with one voice) is the end user of the software we are delivering.

      But that's a relatively rate occurrence. Most software is used by a number of people. Some software is used by a great many people.

      Even if they knew what would be of most benefit to them, it's probably impractical for everyone on the development team to speak with all current and potential users about every question, and get good answers.

      So if the user community is clear on the value and urgency of its needs, then having a single person to communicate with the user community and consolidate this information can be quite valuable.

      And sometimes the expected user community does not really know what is needed -- the project will provide a visionary new service or product that will change the way the customers think about their needs. In that case, you need a good visionary. [How do you know you have a good visionary? Well, after it's all over, gobs of money falls on your heads. ;-> ]
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic