158545Back of the Door Sticky Note Issue Tracking.

  • John Carter
    Mar 12, 2013
      So Alastair Cockburn <http://alistair.cockburn.us/> came by this furthest
      corner of the planet and gave refreshing breeze of good sense....

      But one thing he mentioned, but nobody picked up on, and I had already
      overused my quota of questions....

      He said that some places are working with "sticky notes on the back of the
      door" issue tracking systems.

      ie. They have so few issues that they can track them in this very low tech
      manner.

      I can of course imagine several routes to such a state....

      a) The Obvious and most Desirable route is Magic Happens, and developers
      create so few defects there aren't any defects for the testers to find.

      b) The "lean manufacturing", less desirable, but still sane answer that you
      balance the number of testers, new feature developers, and defect fixers
      until the rates of defect injection, discovery and fix are identical. (No
      queues)

      c) The even less desirable, but still vaguely sanish answer that when the
      sticky notes have covered the door... you start throwing away the least
      important (and rely on the tester's memory that we found that bug before,
      but threw it away).

      d) The totally unacceptable route that you have so few / so weak testers
      that despite an ever growing pool of defects, they aren't finding them.

      Anybody have any experience of what Alastair was talking about?

      --
      John Carter Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
      Tait Electronics Fax : (64)(3) 359 4632

      --

      ------------------------------
      This email, including any attachments, is only for the intended recipient.
      It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be the subject of legal
      or other privilege, none of which is waived or lost by reason of this
      transmission.
      If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disseminate,
      distribute or reproduce such email, any attachments, or any part thereof.
      If you have received a message in error, please notify the sender
      immediately and erase all copies of the message and any attachments.
      Unfortunately, we cannot warrant that the email has not been altered or
      corrupted during transmission nor can we guarantee that any email or any
      attachments are free from computer viruses or other conditions which may
      damage or interfere with recipient data, hardware or software. The
      recipient relies upon its own procedures and assumes all risk of use and of
      opening any attachments.