157791Re: [XP] Story sizes and productivity gains

  • Chet Hendrickson
    Jun 21, 2012
      Hello Paul,

      Please describe the process that this 'productivity measure' will be input to. What is its purpose?

      chet

      I saw a presentation by Scott Downey last night at Agile SoCal on hyperproductive Scrum teams. Downey defines a hyperproductive team as a team that achieves a 500% increase over its initial velocity, as measured in story points.

      I've seen Ron Jeffries recommend not using story points, instead sizing stories consistently around a couple of days, and counting stories instead of points. That's always seemed like a good idea to me, but after Downey's presentation, I was trying to think about how to measure productivity gains when sizing stories at a couple of days.

      To take a simple example, if I can do a story every two days, then I can do five stories in a two-week sprint. By definition (story = 2 days), I will continue to complete five stories per sprint forever. In order to demonstrate improvement over time, I would need a new measurement, e.g., value, right?

      Any ideas on how to measure team productivity over time using consistent story sizes?

      Thanks...

      Paul Epps

      --
      Best regards,