156623Re: [XP] Relevance of XP in Modern era

  • John Roth
    Jun 23, 2011
      I see. A little bit of a language snarl. XP is still around because the
      fundamental principles work, and provide a basis for a working methodology.

      To expand on what Steve Gordon said, there's been quite a bit of
      expansion. Back in 2000 you had to build your own continuous integration
      server if you wanted one. Today there are a variety to choose from. The
      Python team uses one called Buildbot that makes sure that their changes
      keep running on ten different systems for three maintained releases.
      It's open source and widely used. There are several others.

      In the second edition of XP Explained, Kent mentioned continuous
      deployment as an advanced practice. Today there are several deployment
      servers. There are people experimenting with Kanban instead of
      iterations. It's remarkably adaptable to local needs while maintaining
      its core integrity.

      All of this is possible because the values and principles form a firm
      and workable foundation.

      John Roth