156614Re: [XP] Relevance of XP in Modern era

  • JeffGrigg
    Jun 20, 2011

      --- John Roth <JohnRoth1@...> wrote:
      > I'm not sure what your question is about, since I haven't seen
      > enough of a change in software development in the last 15 years
      > to justify the term "modern era." Could you clarify what has
      > happened to call this a "modern era?"

      Dittos.

      XP was invented in the smalltalk environment. Most of the Java platform (the JVM) and Microsoft's CLR are based on concepts from smalltalk, LISP and related tools. When the JVM and CLR, as we know them now, are considered quaint and outdated ideas, given the substantially better tools we have at our disposal, then I'd say that we're in a different "era" than the one for which XP was developed.

      Even so, we'd have to find something better and more appropriate to for solving our automation/development problems before we could throw away XP.

      Personally, I think that the next "era" in software development will involve languages and tools that enable massively parallel processing to be done easily. (Functional programming shows some promise, but I'm still looking. I don't think we've found "it" yet.) So... Will XP be a good approach for writing massively parallel software? Can TDD be used to write such software? Well... It's hard to know for sure, but until something better comes along, the XP approach still looks like a pretty good bet.
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic