156555Re: [XP] Agile challenges

  • Buddha Buck
    May 6, 2011
      On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Kim Gräsman <kim.grasman@...> wrote:
      > For team meetings, I think there's value in everybody being on the
      > lowest common denominator as far as communication medium, e.g. if one
      > team member can only attend the daily stand-up on Skype, then do it
      > over skype for everybody, always.

      > This sounds counter-intuitive, but I think it's good for two reasons;
      > 1) Everybody needs to make an effort to be understood over the
      > low-bandwidth medium. There's no "cheating", where local team members
      > pick things up from body language, but remotes don't get the joke
      > 2) It's a sign of respect for the remote team member(s) -- they're on
      > the team, and they're not punished because they happen to be remote.

      Hmmm, we have 5 guys in Ithaca, working in an open-plan office, and 1 guy in
      Philly. Hows that gonna work?

      When we had 4 guys and one moved to Portland, everyone skyping in required
      headsets to prevent horrible feedback and echo. Even with the headsets we
      could hear the local people both directly and over skype.