  • Tim Ottinger
    May 6, 2011
      Five rules:
      1) Don't
      2) Dont' treat remotes as locals.
      3) Don't treat locals as remotes
      4) Latitude hurts, longitude kills
      5) Don't always be remote

      Take the first with a grain of salt. I'm once again a remote member of a team,
      so I see value in having remote members. We have to have special
      considerations, like skype, webex or yuuguu or teamviewer, distributed version
      control helps, phone numbers for when something bad happens, interoffice text
      chat, extra email conversations, etc.

      The second is dead serious. Remember that the remote is unable to move through
      the room, unable to eavesdrop on conversations in the bullpen, unable to see the
      signage and charts, and has limited visual range. It's like a handicap of sorts,
      but great people can overcome such things.

      The third is dead serious. Don't turn all your local people into remotes. Don't
      eliminate physical charts, card walls, and conversations. Ignore what you hear
      about agile tools being as good as physical presence, because it's not true.
      Keep your locals working like locals, and pair them with the remotes working as
      remotes.

      Fourth one is dead serious. Time zones suck. It's almost nice if you are
      centrally located to have peers one or two time zones earlier and some one or
      two time zones later, but a lack of "common hours" really screws up the pairing
      work.

      Fifth one is a joy. You want your remotes to come visit sometimes. It
      establishes a rapport, it builds a sense of team, and it's good to like the
      people you're compensating for. Definitely build a team with your remotes.

      Tim Ottinger
      http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
      http://agileotter.blogspot.com/