156485Re: [XP] Complex business knowledge and specs

  • Rick Mugridge
    Mar 2, 2011
      Hi Otto,

      Gojko Adzic has an excellent book coming out, "Specification by
      Example", Manning which covers this very well. It's based on his looking
      at the practices of many teams and distilling the important "patterns"
      for success.

      I've used these techniques myself with clients, and they've worked very
      well in complex business domains. For me, the critical points are:

      * Writing (or verifying) the specs needs input from people with
      various skills. This process usually needs to be part of the continuous
      flow of a project. Early in a project, the whole, wider team may be
      involved in workshopping the specs. As a system matures, there need only
      be a few people involved. It depends on how important it is for everyone
      to understand, and have input into, the business goals and potential
      designs.

      *The specs need to be written at a business level, in terms of
      business rules and processes. They serve an important role as examples
      for the wider team, aiding discussions and communication. See "/Doubling
      the Value of Automated Tests: FitLibrary Storytests" /(2006)/,/with
      links for video and slides at
      http://www.rimuresearch.com/PapersAndTalks.html.

      * You can verify the consistency of the executable specifications and
      the system, so you can tell they're up to date and thus can be trusted.

      * Executable specifications have to evolve along with the thinking
      about the domain and what's needed. Hence some will need to be
      refactored from time to time, as with code.

      * If instead they're written as tests in terms of the concrete
      implementation of the system they will be verbose, hard to understand,
      have little value in answering business-level questions, and will be
      difficult to maintain. Most people who apply test automation at this
      level fall into this trap. Many tools don't support making a distinction
      between the DSL of the business layer and the DSL of the implementation
      layers (eg, database, xml, ui, message), and don't support a clean
      mapping between them. For the first couple of articles on such DSLs, see
      http://www.rimuresearch.com/KnowHowTo.html.

      One circumstance where executable specifications don't add value is
      where the domain experts are also the software experts. Then it's easier
      to write specs in code, getting the value of refactoring support and,
      potentially, the benefit of type-checking. This appears to be the case
      with Industrial Logic; Joshua has talked about how they don't need
      executable specifications for their eLearning system.

      Cheers, Rick

      BTW, I'm soon to release an open-source tool for refactoring executable
      specifications that are based on FitLibrary.