156221Re: [XP] Becoming rational about Irrationality

  • Tim Ottinger
    Dec 13, 2010
      #2 might be true, if you accept that our notions of pain and pleasure are not
      well-defined and rational, but based on precedence. I might avoid following your
      advice if you look like someone who has mistreated me in the past, as early as
      kindergarten or before. I might see your plan as good because you remind me of
      my grandmother, who gave me cookies. Since human precedence is not rational but
      historical, social, etc, it is impossible to predict it in a stranger and nearly
      so in a friend or relative.

      Also, to some delaying pain is avoidance and to others it is not. Again, not
      rational. Avoiding confrontation with someone who reminds me of Mr. Simms in 3rd
      grade might seem like minimizing pain (for now). Lots of weird effects come into
      play. Easy to just call it 'irrational' (as such it is) and live on.

      Tim Ottinger
      http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
      http://agileotter.blogspot.com/