155979Re: [XP] Is experimentation an XP value?

  • Wouter Lagerweij
    Nov 8, 2010
      On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 7:43 AM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

      > On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 2:00 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...<ronjeffries%40acm.org>>
      > wrote:
      > >

      > > Hello, Adam. On Sunday, November 7, 2010, at 12:08:42 AM, you
      > > wrote:
      > >
      > > > Yes, that's exactly what I was talking about. The XP folks who I know
      > > > have a natural tendency to try new things that led them to XP in the
      > > > first place. A lot of the folks I am dealing with now want me to
      > > > promise that it is going to work before they try it and even then they
      > > > seem to fear the change. They will do something if I tell them they
      > > > have to, but that is contrary to both my values and the values that we
      > > > would like to see them embrace. It's a tough nut.
      > >
      > > Have these people had Scrum training? Have they heard about Inspect
      > > and Adapt? Are they doing retrospectives? If so, what do they do in
      > > them if not figure out ways to improve? If not, why the hell not?
      > >

      > That's a very good question. They all have had some degree of
      > training, but most could use more. They do have retrospectives, but
      > the retrospective practice could be improved. Specifically, in some
      > cases retrospectives devolve to pity parties and the team isn't
      > holding itself accountable for actually following through on
      > improvements. This seems to be a common pattern -- it is easier to
      > identify problems than to commit to solving them.

      Indeed! The team I met last week had been doing scrum for about five
      sprints. The results of their last retrospective were still shown on a white
      board, and listed items such as 'improve unit testing'. This was
      encouraging, in that they were unit testing, were doing retrospectives, and
      wanted to improve their technical practices.
      When I asked them *how* they were working on improving unit testing, though,
      I got a very long pause...

      Note that this wasn't in any way reluctance on the teams part to follow
      through, they just hadn't gotten the message that they could and *should*
      take concrete steps to change. For people not used to taking that
      responsibility, that seems to be the hardest part of scrum to really
      perform.

      Wouter