155972Re: [XP] Is experimentation an XP value?

  • Adam Sroka
    Nov 7, 2010
      On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 2:00 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      > Hello, Adam. On Sunday, November 7, 2010, at 12:08:42 AM, you
      > wrote:
      >
      > > Yes, that's exactly what I was talking about. The XP folks who I know
      > > have a natural tendency to try new things that led them to XP in the
      > > first place. A lot of the folks I am dealing with now want me to
      > > promise that it is going to work before they try it and even then they
      > > seem to fear the change. They will do something if I tell them they
      > > have to, but that is contrary to both my values and the values that we
      > > would like to see them embrace. It's a tough nut.
      >
      > Have these people had Scrum training? Have they heard about Inspect
      > and Adapt? Are they doing retrospectives? If so, what do they do in
      > them if not figure out ways to improve? If not, why the hell not?

      That's a very good question. They all have had some degree of
      training, but most could use more. They do have retrospectives, but
      the retrospective practice could be improved. Specifically, in some
      cases retrospectives devolve to pity parties and the team isn't
      holding itself accountable for actually following through on
      improvements. This seems to be a common pattern -- it is easier to
      identify problems than to commit to solving them.
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic