155966Re: Is experimentation an XP value?

  • Philip
    Nov 7, 2010
      > Courage is an XP value ... because XP teams do things that justify
      > courage.
      >
      > Scrum teams often have none of those practices, which means they
      > have no reason to have courage.

      Yes, as Kent Beck says on p 34 of the 1st edition of XP Explained:

      If you don't have the first three values in place, courage by itself is just plain hacking (in the pejorative sense of that word). However, when combined with communication, simplicity, and concrete feedback, courage becomes extremely valuable.

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      > Hello, Adam. On Saturday, November 6, 2010, at 12:27:37 AM, you
      > wrote:
      >
      > > I spend most of my time, nowadays, trying to convince Scrum teams
      > > to adopt XP practices. One thing that comes up over and over again
      > > is that teams that adopt Scrum are often still very risk averse.
      >
      > > The XP teams that I have worked with, on the other hand, seemed
      > > to value experimentation and learning a lot.
      >
      > > Which makes me wonder... Is valuing experimentation a core XP
      > > value? It seems like others value safety and deliberation over
      > > experimentation, and it seems like we don't. Thoughts?
      >
      > XP teams, good ones, have their code surrounded by zillions of
      > tests. They pair, so everyone knows most everything, and there's
      > always someone to belay you if you slip. They change code by
      > refactoring, not by rewriting. They understand that every
      > refactoring has an inverse. If they have the meme, they follow the
      > C3 rule: if programmers discuss some technical issue for more than
      > ten minutes, they must settle the issue by a joint experiment.
      >
      > Courage is an XP value ... because XP teams do things that justify
      > courage.
      >
      > Scrum teams often have none of those practices, which means they
      > have no reason to have courage.
      >
      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > In times of stress, I like to turn to the wisdom of my Portuguese waitress,
      > who said: "Olá, meu nome é Marisol e eu serei sua garçonete."
      > -- after Mark Vaughn, Autoweek.

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic