155963Re: [XP] Is experimentation an XP value?

  • Laurent Bossavit
    Nov 7, 2010
      Hi Adam,

      > Come to think of it, this may have little to do with Scrum and more to
      > do with the corporate culture I am dealing with

      This is getting close to off-topic, but last Thursday at one of the
      French stops of Agile Tour I sat in on a very interesting talk with a
      title I'll loosely translate: "Scrum as compliance factory", drawing
      on work such as Cialdini's ("Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion").

      The speaker argued that Scrum seems to have been engineered by someone
      who's read up on the psychology of persuasion, to produce something
      devilishly clever at getting people to willingly commit to goals; he
      didn't see that as an unalloyed benefit, reminding us of the
      historical ills engendered by engineered compliance.

      By and large I agreed, but pointed out it's something of a two-edged
      sword. There may only be subtle differences between creating alignment
      of purpose within a group, and engineering compliance. The former I
      still see as a necessary condition of project success.

      So, perhaps the hypothesis is that XP never appeals to corporate
      culture who value compliance, whereas Scrum may appeal to those
      corporate cultures. I'd take it with a grain of salt, insofar as XP
      incorporates just about every element of Scrum that engineers
      compliance. But maybe it makes sense that if what appeals to you is
      the compliance element you'd want to ditch all the technical
      practices...

      Cheers,
      Laurent Bossavit
      laurent@...