155961Re: [XP] Re: A trend in career creation?

  • Chris Wheeler
    Nov 6, 2010
      On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 3:55 PM, D.André Dhondt <d.andre.dhondt@...>wrote:

      > > I could get past the hard skills thing if there was real evidence that
      > the
      > > practitioners were true 'change agents'.
      > >

      > What's evidence? My job is to work myself out of a job, to get the team to
      > the point that they say, in Lao-tsu's words, "we did it ourselves".
      >
      > I call myself a coach, or a facilitator. My business card says "Don't
      > teams
      > gel themselves? Dhondt teams do!"

      Andre, tell me, do you make claims that you can change entire
      organizations? That's where my beef lies - coaches, team members, or
      anyone, who've coached a team once or twice (or never), or maybe
      participated on an agile project, did the typical, "Wow, this must work
      everywhere", and presto-change-o, suddenly they are branding themselves as
      an Organizational Change Master with really no experience outside of the
      realm of creating a software product.

      As for evidence - if you claim to be a change agent, tell me what you've
      changed and how it impacted a company's bottom line. Forget weasel words
      like 'embrace' and 'foster'. Say things like, "Did X, got Y" In other words,
      come to the Show-Me Show with a bit more than an airy title and a loving
      embrace.

      Chris.