155959Re: [XP] Is experimentation an XP value?

  • Adam Sroka
    Nov 6, 2010
      On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 5:41 PM, thierry henrio <thierry.henrio@...> wrote:

      > Hello Adam
      >
      > On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 1:10 AM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

      > > > Something bugs me here... If you are using "XP team" as a shorthand
      > > > for "teams who use XP practices", ditto Scrum, then you're almost
      > > > stating a tautology: "the teams I've seen who are using Scrum
      > > > practices but not XP practices are reluctant to adopt XP practices".
      > > > That's more or less what made them Scrum teams in the first place,
      > > > right?
      > > >

      > > That makes sense. To put it in the proper context the teams that are
      > > doing Scrum without XP practices are doing what they were told to do.
      > > Many of them have no idea how to do XP practices. The reason that I am
      > > there is to help them figure out how/if XP practices will help them.
      > >

      > > > So, basically you seem to be saying that some teams adopt some
      > > > practices that some other teams don't.
      > > >

      > > That's not exactly what I meant to be saying, but it is true. For the
      > > most part these teams didn't chose Scrum, it was forced on them. I
      > > don't want to force XP on them. So, I am in the somewhat tenuous
      > > position of saying that I think some of the practices will help them
      > > do Scrum more effectively. The problem with that is that most of the
      > > time they don't want to try new things.
      > >
      > > In particular, if they are faced with some arbitrary deadline imposed
      > > by the business then I can almost guarantee they will reject any
      > > changes introduced prior to that deadline. I can't really say I blame
      > > them for that, but I want to understand it better so that I can help.
      > >
      > > Come to think of it, this may have little to do with Scrum and more to
      > > do with the corporate culture I am dealing with. So, maybe that part
      > > of my premise was flawed.
      > >

      > If company was sold "XXX folds lead time by 2, just do XXX", then it might
      > It might also be a great goal if planned and agreed transparently ...

      I'm a little hesitant to promise them specific results. For example,
      they want to know if TDD will make them faster and I am willing to say
      that in the long run I think it will. However, in the shorter term I
      have seen some teams get faster and some teams get much slower
      (Because they weren't paying much attention to the quality of their
      code prior to TDD.)

      In one case I was able to say that TDD would save them a lot of time
      on their testing, because they were automating functional tests that
      were slow and brittle. They had a suite that was taking them several
      days to run and when it found problems they had to spend several more
      days fixing them, then several to run it again... you get the picture.

      So, sometimes I can do that, but sometimes I can't.

      > So what is your plan ?

      My current thinking is that we will offer training classes across the
      organization so that anyone who wants to learn can sign up and join a
      class. Then I will let the teams come to me after one of them has been
      to a class and say, "We want to figure out how to test this GUI..."
      Let those kind of requests drive the coaching. I have had some limited
      success with using a pull approach rather than a push, and I would
      like to go 100% pull if possible. There are 1,400 people in the IT
      organization of this client, and we have other clients that are pretty
      big too. So, I'm not worried about running out of people to help.
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic