155958Re: [XP] Re: Principle #11

  • George Paci
    Nov 6, 2010
      On 11/5/10 at 7:49 PM, JeffGrigg wrote:
      > --- George Paci <gpaci@...> wrote:
      >> What's left over after a project that's useful in future projects?
      >
      > Answer: A highly productive jelled team.
      >
      > ;->

      I agree, but I completely fail to see why you used a smiley. The entire
      reason I applied for my current job was that I was sure it was a highly-
      productive jelled team.* Yet there are plenty of organizations that give
      essentially no weight to the value of a jelled team, and in fact seem
      blind to teams at all: they just shuffle individual developers around
      between projects with no notion that they actually *interact* with each
      other beyond exchanging sports banter at the water cooler.

      Anyway, since I was dealing with bulbs again today: how do you build on
      that team? Will it come up again next year (i.e. deliver as well on the
      next project)? Can you grow it? At what point do you divide it? How
      likely are the divided bulbs to come up the next year? What do you put
      in the hole with it? (In my case, I have to put some sand down there
      for drainage, in addition to compost and bulb fertilizer and whatever
      everyone else needs.) When can you get rid of the dying leaves without
      shortchanging the needs of the bulb for the next project?

      Moving on to (more) off-topic stuff:
      >> Think back: were the kids who were always saying
      >> "That's stupid" the *smart* ones?
      >
      > We're good at recognizing our failures in others. ;->

      I agree (see "Projection" at a convenient online encyclopedia near you), but
      I don't see the connection to my signature. Are you saying I should ponder
      what I consider stupid? Or what I considered stupid in high school?
      (In high-school me's defense, I *thought* history and biology and economics
      were stupid, but never actually *said* so.) I try to take criticism as
      constructive, whenever humanly possible. Or anyway I try to try. Or
      hope I try.

      --George

      (* In addition to being sure, I also turned out to be right.)

      I wish the architect and management had spent more effort building a
      product that a million people wanted to use, and less effort building
      a product that could be used by a million people. --Kevin B. Smith
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic