155730Re: [XP] INVEST stories and estimations

  • Steven Gordon
    Sep 30, 2010
      On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 1:23 AM, Stephan Huez <stephan.huez@...>wrote:

      > Hi Steve,
      >
      > You're right. I reckon that not re-estimating the story won't be a
      > disaster. I don't think I would do it, actually. Too much time spent
      > on estimates is definitely a waste of time and velocity is the great
      > equaliser.
      >
      > By the way, I am well aware of the philosophy behind agile estimates
      > and I fully embrace it. My only problem is that I work in a company
      > that builds software for other companies, on fixed-price contracts.

      Yes, fixed price makes agile a challenge.

      Agile estimation is for steering the project. It is not a good fit for
      bidding a project. If the client cannot be convinced to move to a different
      kind of arrangement (fixed price is wasteful, making software development
      more expensive for the client; it also creates an adversarial relationship
      instead of a win-win partnership), then it may be best to do a detailed
      non-agile estimation to determine the bid, but then throw out all those
      up-front assumptions when actually doing the work.