154557Re: [XP] pair programming in 3 people team

  • Ilja Preuß
    Jul 21 12:45 AM
      Hi Curtis,

      >> Personally, I don't like the idea of infrastructure tasks being
      >> secondary class citizens. Either a task is worth doing, in which case
      >> it's also worth being paired on; or it simply shouldn't be done.

      > Ideally, perhaps.

      I don't understand your use of "ideally" in this context.

      >> I'm also sceptical of using task boundaries for pair switching. Too
      >> much of an invitation to game the system, to me (for example when I
      >> just don't feel like pairing).
      >>
      > Not sure I see a problem here. If you "just don't feel like pairing"
      > perhaps it's best if you don't.

      Sometimes it certainly is. And I think it's better to make that
      transparent to my teammates, instead of just dragging on with my
      current task. And I welcome a process that "forces" me to make it
      transparent.

      And sometimes I just need a "kick in the ass" to start pair
      programming, and then actually enjoy it. Probably just a personal flaw
      of mine, but it makes me prefer time-based over task-based pair
      rotation.

      > If that becomes an on going problem, then
      > let's address it. If you "just don't feel like pairing" then I probably
      > don't want to pair with you.

      Fair enough. Then let's talk about it, instead of hiding it under "I'm
      still not finished with this task".

      > If you want to go futz around with
      > "infrastructure work" all day, just think of how much uninterrupted pair
      > time the other two will get.

      If that's what we want, let's make that decision explicitely, as a
      team. Time-based pair switching helps me surfacing this issue.

      > Said perhaps a little more harshly, if you have people who will "game the
      > system" then you don't have the right people. If there are only three of
      > you, and you've all decided to try this XP thing, then I'd think that's
      > unlikely.

      Well, all I can tell you is that when working in a team, I want to do
      pair programming, and I prefer a system that helps me overcome my
      personal quirks. If that makes me the wrong man for your team, so be
      it. :)

      No hard feelings, Ilja
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic