149648Re: [XP] Integration with non-XP teams

  • Nick Korbel
    Apr 1, 2009
      Dave,
      I really appreciate your input. The experiences you described are very
      similar to what we're dealing with.

      In these cases, the best we could do was to deploy our code into a
      > QA/staging environment with interfaces to the other components mocked out.

      This is a great suggestion. I mean, we mock out code dependencies every day
      so this is not much of a change for us.

      When doing this I assume you're still in the same boat of typically being in
      a deployable state before your dependencies. How have you prevented your
      code from growing stale? For example, with a recent feature we cut a
      branch, built and tested what we could, but have since been sitting on it
      waiting until everyone is ready to deploy.

      Some obvious approaches would be to delay working on what we're responsible
      for until the dependencies are in place, making the feature configurable, or
      just sucking it up and maintaining the branch while we wait. I understand
      there is no blanket answer because each situation is unique, but what has
      worked for people in the past?

      Thanks,
      Nick