149640Re: [XP] Integration with non-XP teams

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Apr 1, 2009
      On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Nick Korbel <nkorbel@...> wrote:

      > I'm in a situation where there are a few separate software teams at my
      > company focusing on different areas of business. Of them, my team is the
      > only one practicing XP. There are increasing business needs for projects
      > that span more than one of these teams.
      >
      > The problem we've run into is that we are trying to build the side that we
      > are responsible for in incremental pieces while the side that we need to
      > integrate with is not.
      >
      > How have people handled these types of projects before? What kind of
      > approaches to development, testing and project management have succeeded?
      > What pitfalls should we avoid?

      Do you supply those teams with features? Do they supply you with
      features? or Do you all build different parts of the same features?

      If you supply them with features, then I expect your worst problem to
      be a lack of feedback from your customer(s) about what you deliver. In
      this case, you might need to find ways to involve your customer(s)
      more. What probably happens is that under pressure you guess more
      about what they want than perhaps you should, and that works some of
      the time and fails the rest of the time. Please do not use this as a
      way to blackmail your customer(s) into becoming involved.

      If they supply you with features, then you can insulate yourself from
      them with interfaces. Be clear with them about what behavior you need,
      then wraps their code in your own interfaces using the Adapter
      pattern. In this case, you might find it frustrating to get them to
      deliver the interfaces you want. What probably happens is that you
      simulate the behavior you expect from them, but find it hard at times
      to write the Adapter from your code to theirs. Please do not use this
      as a way to berate your suppliers into paying attention.

      If you all build different parts of the same features, then I wish you
      the best of luck. Communicate more, negotiate more, and pray. (It
      can't hurt.)

      Take care.
      Your guide to software craftsmanship