147752Re: [XP] Testing increasing time significantly?

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Jan 15 7:43 AM
      On 2008-12-24, at 19:29 , Brandon Olivares wrote:
      > So I decided to put an honest effort into trying TDD.
      >
      > My feeling about it after trying it on a single user story is that
      > it's
      > really, really useful, and gives a lot of assurance, but is a pain
      > to write,
      > and increases the time to program significantly. I estimate it
      > increased the
      > time it took me to program this threefold, from what it would have
      > been had
      > I not used tests. I had 54 unit tests and 92 functional tests, so it
      > definitely was a lot to write.

      I'm late to the party, so this might be old news by now.

      Don't compare apples to oranges. When you consider the cost of
      delivering that story without doing TDD, including the cost to program
      it, the cost to fix all the defects you and your testing organization
      find, the cost to plan and decide which defects to fix and which
      defects to risk delivering to your customer, the cost to argue with
      your testers about whether something is a defect or not, and the cost
      to go back and rewrite 40% of that code in three months when you try
      to add a feature that touches your design and you learn that your old
      design is too rigid to accommodate the new feature.

      If you add up all those costs, you might find a vastly different
      comparison.

      Also, as with any technique, with practice comes speed.
      ----
      Your guide to software craftsmanship
      2005 Gordon Pask Award for contributions to Agile Software Practice
    • Show all 61 messages in this topic