142115Re: [XP] How to measure agile projects reliability

  • Steven Campbell
    May 2, 2008
      On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 1:37 PM, Md. Abdullah-Al-Mamun
      <mamun222@...> wrote:

      > I am talking about the developed software. In case of non-agile processes
      > there exists good tools in the market those deal with around a dozen of
      > Software Reliability Growth Model (based on the failure data from the
      > testing phase). These model can predict the current reliability level and
      > probable future behavior
      > after product release. (Its true, these certification reliability is no
      > practiced by mass organizations but good companies do this)
      > In agile the testing phase is not linear like non-agile, there is my
      > problem to apply traditional SRGM. So i like to know what agile/eXtreme ppl
      > are doing?

      I've never heard of SRGMs. It is not a mainstream technique - there
      isn't even a wikipedia article on it, only a smattering of academic
      articles. The best summary I could find was
      http://www.osti.gov/bridge/servlets/purl/6017897-Rc1ams/

      From what I understand, these models leverage the traditional end of
      development "QA" step to get baseline measurements, from which a
      longer-term model can be extrapolated.

      It would not be applied in an Agile project unless the client attached
      specific *value* to the SRGM. In that case, we could certainly take
      measurements at whatever points the models preferred.

      That said, you would have to be careful before applying a standard
      model. They were developed using data from projects that "tested
      quality in". Agile techniques focus on "building the quality in", and
      so may exhibit different characteristics.

      --
      Steve Campbell
      http://blog.perfectapi.com/