138426Re: [XP] Group vote for C unit testing framework

  • John Carter
    Jan 28 12:06 PM
      On Sun, 27 Jan 2008, David Carlton wrote:

      > On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:42:40 +1300 (NZDT), John Carter <john.carter@...> said:
      >
      >> Hint: Control of the build environment is handy. Instead of using
      >> "make" which doesn't really give you all that much you care about
      >> anyway...knock up your own using a rich scripting language like Ruby
      >> or Python.
      >
      > ? Make knows all about all sorts of handy dependency rules which are
      > very well suited for C and its derivatives; I wouldn't dream of
      > hand-rolling something else, if that's what you're suggesting. I
      > don't know what compiler the original poster is using, but GCC will
      > even spit out appropriate make dependencies, making it extremely easy
      > to write a safe, parallelizable Makefile for C code, in many common
      > situations.

      Actually every large commercial make file I've seen has been about 20%
      make and a mish-mash of shell, awk, grep and other darker things
      (eg. .bat) for the rest. Trying to work out the various levels of
      quote stripping between make,shell and awk can be entertaining at the
      least!

      So if a standard library module gives you that 20% that make gives
      you.... why not do it all in a single excellently designed scripting
      language.

      I've done large build systems in both, and I can promise you the next
      large build system I do will use a scripting language again.

      John Carter Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
      Tait Electronics Fax : (64)(3) 359 4632
      New Zealand
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic