137279Re: A proven need for agility

  • Simon Jones
    Dec 3, 2007
      From the few brief flirtations I've had with them, and from
      acquaintances who work in this field I've always thought that VC's
      (particularly for start ups) are really investing in individuals
      (assuming a reasonably sound idea).

      Perhaps, if there's truth in that, then this would increase the
      contribution an Agile team might make?

      However as I understand it it very much like publishing, music, films
      etc... they make a relatively large and wide set of investments which
      hopefully are scaleable and hope that one or two of them come off,
      big time thus far outweighing the moeny lost on the vast majority of
      the others.

      In which case then perhaps the value of an Agile team is somewhat
      diminished.

      I personally think (and its very much a personal perspective) that
      the real value of agile is /not/ in startups etc at all. Its at its
      most valuable in larger 'brand' organisations who need to maintain
      their position by constantly staying one step ahead.

      Simon
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Wheeler"
      <christopher.wheeler@...> wrote:

      > On Nov 30, 2007 1:44 PM, William Pietri <william@...> wrote:
      >

      > > There's an interesting post about company failure rates based on
      one
      > > venture capitalist's personal data:
      > >
      > > http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/11/30/vcs-whats-your-failure-rate/
      > >
      > > That's a hell of a need for agility.
      > >

      > Interesting, William. Over the years my perception is that there is
      not a
      > clear consensus about what part an agile team plays in this type of
      change.
      > I've heard it said that agile is strictly a 'deliver what the
      business
      > wants, and let the business figure out what it wants' methodology
      and I've
      > heard it said that agile 'should steer the business, and tell it
      where it
      > needs to go'.
      >
      > So, while I get what this article is saying, I'm not sure that
      there is
      > clear thought on what the role of an Agile team (with a capital A)
      is in