124247Re: [XP] Does C++ unit testing become easier ?

  • Adrian Sutton
    Dec 3, 2006
      On 04/12/2006, at 5:45 AM, Phlip wrote:
      > Okay. Mr Q, our "database guy", wrote a 10 minute estimate on the
      > card. I,
      > who know least about the database, will pull it and go pair with Mr.
      > Spalding, who knows the second-least.
      >
      > A-working-together we go!

      This is a very good thing. By the time you have done your task you
      will both know more about the database and be more productive,
      valuable members of the team in future. The team bus number has now
      been increased.

      If along the way you need help, you'll ask for it because everyone in
      your team is happy to offer assistance and their close by because you
      all sit together. The worst possible outcome is that the task you're
      implementing is such a mess it needs to be thrown out and started
      again, but you can't possibly break anything that's already working
      because the tests will tell you about it before you check in.

      If any of the above isn't true in your team then you have a problem,
      but it doesn't lie in who is taking on the task. One thing I can see
      as a problem is that you have individual developers estimating tasks
      rather than the team as a whole. While this is tempting to speed up
      the estimating process, it means that the person who estimated the
      task is likely the only person for whom the estimate is valid. If
      they happen to be sick for a few days, or busy with something else,
      you're in trouble.

      At least, that's the way I see it. It's not easy to get to that
      stage, but I do see it as a very worthwhile goal.

      Regards,

      Adrian Sutton
      http://www.symphonious.net
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic