124212Re: [XP] What's up with Rails?

  • George Dinwiddie
    Dec 2, 2006
      J. B. Rainsberger wrote:
      > I characterize my problems this way: I've learned over the last
      > half-decade or so how to test layered architectures with a combination
      > of Contract Tests and Interaction Tests, and mostly in Java. Now that
      > I'm writing Rails applications, it's a new world, and many of the things
      > that I've learned in Java/J2EE don't seem to apply directly to Rails,
      > most notably injecting dependencies. Now it could just be that I'm still
      > learning the ropes with Rails and that all this will become clear soon,
      > but given that Rails instantiates more things for me and gives me less
      > control over how to configure them (so far as I've seen so far), so I
      > don't know how to test-drive a controller effectively yet, without
      > writing what are in effect integration tests.
      >
      > The good news is that I'm getting some help in this direction, so
      > perhaps I'll know better what to do in the coming months.

      I, for one, look forward to your report. My experience with Rails was
      much like yours, but I haven't had time to go back and try again. TDD
      with Ruby is a different story, however, and seems quite natural. We
      (the Agile Maryland codefest group) are probably going to try BDD using
      rSpec next.

      - George

      * George Dinwiddie * gdinwiddie@...