121270Re: Convincing the business

  • duane.waninger
    Jul 11, 2006
      There doesn't seem to be much advice in these posts to really help
      answer your question. I think Steven got it right when he said ...

      ========================
      The key to winning buy-in is to:
      - discover where the discernable pain is
      - suggest a few things that might ease the pain
      - discuss the tactics and strategies and tradeoffs of trying those
      things in various ways or combinations in their context
      - get them to just try one of those things for a short while to see
      if
      it helps (5 months is too long)
      - do your best to make it work
      - repeat
      =========================

      The Serenity Prayer say "... courage to change the things I can ..."

      My suggestion is to start small, with the things you can change. If
      you have buy-in from the IT guys, then start there. Change the
      development team dynamic. Move the development team to work in
      iterations. Start asking questions regarding requirements to the
      liaisons on a daily/hourly basis. Try to increase team
      productivity. Once you have some control on the things you can
      change, start talking about what you're doing to the liaisons. Drop
      Agile key words and phrases along the way. Nothing you try to say
      will convince anyone faster than proven results.

      When trying to change the organization you have to take a long-term
      view. Changing a organization, especially a large organization
      won't happen overnight. It might not even happen in your tenure
      with the organization. The best you can do is to teach the IT folks
      to use the methodology and let nature take its course.

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Bil Simser <bsimser@...>
      wrote:

      > I guess this is probably the biggest question that gets asked
      around here.

      > Does anyone have a good summary or set of tips on how to convince
      the business that xp/scrum/iterative is a good thing and why they
      should invest. I can't win the scenario if they're not going to bite
      the apple.

      > The setup is something like this. The business provides a liason
      who works with the BA to resolve questions about the problem domain
      and will do acceptance testing of the solution. The problem is that
      they dedicate say a week to testing at the end of the system. This
      is obviously too late so I'm looking to propose an iterative cycle
      of one month for each release where they spend a day. Over a 5 month
      project, this amounts to the same (and hopefully shorter) investment
      of time. What I want is to convince them not only to breakup their
      commitment like this (which they're pretty relucatant to do anyways)
      but also to provide feedback into the next iteration.

      > So I'm looking for some tips on how to talk to these guys without
      being overly pushy. I'm consulting at the firm I'm at and the IT
      guys are all for Agile, but the biggest problem they see is the
      solidity that the business users are set on.

      > Yes, this is a tough problem and I know there's no real boiled-
      down, step-by-step, corn-fed answer that can be applied to any
      situation. I'm just looking for some help on ways to approach the
      problem.

      > Thanks.

    • Show all 49 messages in this topic