120157Re: [XP] meaning of "could possibly work" clause

    Jun 1, 2006
      On Thursday, June 1, 2006, at 7:01:08 AM, David H. wrote:

      >> But worse than merely being tuatologous, to me it encourages
      >> missinterpretation of "simple" as easiest/quickest/most expedient and
      >> thus is not a phrase I would ever use myself to convey what I mean by
      >> "simplest".
      >>
      > There is a quote that I usually use when confronted with that:

      > "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but
      > when there is nothing left to remove". -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

      I love the quote, and have it as one of my sigs.

      > And I think that is very close to what simple is. Simple, to me, is
      > always the most complicated thing to achieve.

      I don't find that to be the case. I've always been fairly good at
      thinking of simple ways to do things, and always been fairly bad at
      getting complex solutions right. Since I started focusing on "the
      simplest thing", things have just gotten better and better for me.

      You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure,
      what you do not understand. --Leonardo da Vinci
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic