119207Re: [XP] Book Review: Pragmatic Ajax

  • Phlip
    May 1 2:02 PM
      Forrest Chang wrote:

      > For the last question, are you asking for a navigation into offending
      > code? You can navigate to the part that didn't pass in the test the
      > way it is, and I've thought about writing something that goes through
      > the ROR stack traces to hit that.

      Kent Beck calls that topic "test faults are syntax errors". That means
      _all_ errors, whatever their source, should appear in the same list in
      your editor, and you should hit <F4> or similar to optionally navigate
      to them.

      Once when I pushed for a system like that, my colleagues using Vim
      demonstrated that it was impossible, because Vim indeed had an option
      to jump to the first syntax error. But its problem was it _always_
      jumped; you couldn't just opt to jump. Under TDD, 5!% of the time when
      a test fails your cursor should already be near the cause.

      --
      Phlip
      http://www.greencheese.us/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!