111048Re: [XP] How can you tell when your project is headed for disaster?

  • Steven J. Owens
    Aug 26, 2005
      On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 04:19:10AM -0500, Ron Jeffries wrote:
      > Finally, FINALLY!, in a meeting about what to do, she told her
      > boss that what to do was to terminate her.
      >
      > The next two weeks, she went into the office, did what she could,
      > and came home without stress.
      >
      > I'm glad she quit. But my guess is that all the weeks before that,
      > she could have gone into the office, done what she could, and come
      > home without stress. My guess is that we can always do that, that
      > stress is something we accept more than something that is provided
      > to us.

      One of my favorite sayings about stress (though I don't hold it
      as gospel truth) is "stress is a decision you haven't made yet."

      This is one of those things you have to apply with judgement, of
      course. Obviously a lot of the time stress comes from putting off a
      decision. Sometimes it's a deliberate choice to ignore the stress
      with the idea that the key stress factor will go away. Sometimes it
      does go away, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the decision you're
      putting off is simply the decision to accept the situation and live
      with it. Sometimes, as in your wife's case, it's the decision not to
      accept the situation.

      Not quite related, in googling to try to find the origin of that
      saying, I found this somewwhat interesting page:

      http://www.unl.edu/stress/mgmt/decision.html

      > Might be a knack to learn ...

      Saw a good variation on a classic quote, on the wall above the
      nurses' station last night, as I visited a friend who had a stroke
      over the weekend:

      God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change,
      the courage to change the one I can,
      and the wisdom to know it's me.

      --
      Steven J. Owens