108510Re: [XP] Re: New article: "Ideas," not "Requirements"

  • Jim Standley
    Jul 1, 2005
      We frequently have a "requirement" that is one of five equally
      acceptable solutions to a business problem. If we find that one of the
      others would be much cheaper to build, it takes an act of Congress to
      change the fool thing. I'd rather see the "requirement" as solving the
      problem with more leeway in implementing it. I sent the article about
      "ideas" to the whole team.

      Jeff Grigg wrote:
      > --- Jim Shore <jshore@t...> wrote:
      >
      >>"I've been working with a customer to help them define a
      >>custom agile process. One of the first things I've been
      >>doing is looking at where software requirements come from
      >>and how they're prioritized."
      >>
      >>Find my new article at
      >>http://www.jamesshore.com/Blog/Ideas_Not_Requirements.html.
      >

      > I've been challenging the word "requirements" too. "How can you say
      > that this thing is a *REQUIREMENT*, when the business is doing just
      > fine right now without it? In what sense is is objectively
      > required???"
      >
      > "Ideas." Now there's a nice idea. ;-> One possible shortcoming,
      > however: I'm looking for ideas that people are willing to *pay*
      > for. "Hey, I have an idea!" I say, "We could paint the house
      > pink." However, nobody really wants the house to be pink. So
      > something's missing there.
      >
      > I think that the things masquerading as "requirements" today aren't
      > really requirements. They are (hopefully) things that people want
      > enough to pay for them. If I'm implementing things that no one
      > wants enough to be willing to pay for them, then I think that
      > someone is misusing someone else's money. :-[

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic