107766Re: [XP] Remote teams

  • William Pietri
    May 31, 2005
      On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 12:39 +0000, PierG wrote:
      > Ciao,
      > I know there are experiences around about working with XP teams
      > geographically splitted into 2 or more sub-groups.
      >
      > Could you share with us: the worst problem you faced and the thing
      > that helped you more in this challenge?

      My general feeling is that it's much less fun than all-in-one-room
      development, and that a distributed group needs to spend a lot more time
      meeting, emailing, and maintaining documentation. It's much harder to
      keep a distributed team in sync, so I like it when each team has a queue
      of work that they can do when the other side falls behind.

      However, the times I've seen it work adequately are where there's a
      natural place to split things that reduces the need for information to
      flow across the boundary. For example, a client/server app might
      naturally split into client-side and server-side development.

      It can be especially helpful when the communication includes test cases,
      or at least the kinds of examples that can easily be turned into test
      cases.

      William

      --
      William Pietri <william@...>