RE: [extremeperl] Online Book, Ch 10: nonfunctional link

  • Greg Compestine
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 7, 2004
      This is a timely post. I was on the verge of sending out the very same
      query. I have two questions:

      1. Which versions of cperl has b-perl.el been tested against?

      2. How do I reference b-perl.el in my .emacs file?

      Thanks,

      Greg

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 7, 2004
        Greg Compestine writes:
        > This is a timely post. I was on the verge of sending out the very same
        > query. I have two questions:
        >
        > 1. Which versions of cperl has b-perl.el been tested against?

        4.19 is what we're using. I think the compatibility problems are
        related to some of the indenting "fixes" we put in. The refactoring
        functions probably will work with any version as they are not related
        to any cperl specifics except the cperl-mode-map.

        > 2. How do I reference b-perl.el in my .emacs file?

        (require 'b-perl)

        BTW, I mentioned the wrong chapter number in my last message (not even
        realizing the subject was about Chapter 10 :-). It's the Continuous
        Design chapter, not Chapter 10 Coding Style, which will be out soon.

        Rob
      • Richard Heintze
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 7, 2004
          Somehow I missed the beginning of this discussion.
          Where are the archives of this mailing list where I
          can get the URL of this online book. Does the file
          extension "el" refer to emacs lisp?
          Thanks
          Siegfried
          --- Rob Nagler <nagler@...> wrote:
          > Greg Compestine writes:
          > > This is a timely post. I was on the verge of
          > sending out the very same
          > > query. I have two questions:
          > >
          > > 1. Which versions of cperl has b-perl.el been
          > tested against?
          >
          > 4.19 is what we're using. I think the compatibility
          > problems are
          > related to some of the indenting "fixes" we put in.
          > The refactoring
          > functions probably will work with any version as
          > they are not related
          > to any cperl specifics except the cperl-mode-map.
          >
          > > 2. How do I reference b-perl.el in my .emacs file?
          >
          > (require 'b-perl)
          >
          > BTW, I mentioned the wrong chapter number in my last
          > message (not even
          > realizing the subject was about Chapter 10 :-).
          > It's the Continuous
          > Design chapter, not Chapter 10 Coding Style, which
          > will be out soon.
          >
          > Rob

          http://messenger.yahoo.com/
        • Norbert Gruener
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 7, 2004
            Hi Rob,

            On Mon, Jun 07 2004, Rob Nagler wrote:
            > Norbert Gruener writes:
            > > I am working through your online book and I am quite impressed :-))
            >
            > Thanks. BTW, I didn't ignore your post for a PDF. It's still in my
            > inbox. :-) Seriously, we just started working on converting the book
            > to PDF.

            thank you. I didn't think that my post was ignored. I just wanted to
            state that there is some demand for a PDF version too or at least a
            "one file" HTML version. But I did not expect that such a beast would
            show up a few of days later.

            > > Since I am using Emacs I would be very interested in seeing those
            > > mentioned "refactoring functions".

            > We'll add it to the Bivio-bOP release, too. Be warned that all
            > features in b-perl.el might not work with every version of cperl.

            Thank you for providing that URL. I have picked it up and I will give
            it a try.

            Cheers,

            Norbert
            --
            Ceterum censeo | PGP encrypted mail preferred.
            Redmond esse delendam. | PGP Key at www.MPA-Garching.MPG.de/~nog/
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 7, 2004
              Hi Siegfried,

              On Tue, Jun 08 2004, Richard Heintze wrote:
              > Somehow I missed the beginning of this discussion.
              > Where are the archives of this mailing list where I

              the archive can be found at

              Look for "Search Archive" :-)))

              > can get the URL of this online book.

              You can find the "online book" at