Re: [extremeperl] Hardware for multiple keyboards and mice on Windows

  • Chris Winters
    Message 1 of 6 , May 10 3:02 PM
      On May 10, 2004, at 5:51 PM, Richard Heintze wrote:
      > May I confirm here?
      >
      > Let's assume I get the USB keyboards and multiplexer
      > or the Y connector for PS/2 keyboards and 2 PS/2
      > keyboards (http://kinesis-ergo.com/other_adap.htm).
      >
      > MS Windows (or Linux) is going to think all the
      > keystrokes are coming from a single keyboard and not
      > multiple keyboards? MSWindows is also going to think
      > there is a single mouse and not muliple mice?
      >
      > Furthermore, I need no special software for this?

      The purpose of the PS/2-Y adapter is to trick the computer into
      thinking a single keyboard is connected when two actually are. It
      certainly works that way under Win32 -- no additional software
      required. I assume it works the same under linux but I've not tested
      this directly.

      Chris

      --
      Chris Winters
      Creating enterprise-capable snack systems since 1988
      Message 2 of 6 , May 10 3:29 PM
        On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 06:02:47PM -0400, Chris Winters wrote:
        > On May 10, 2004, at 5:51 PM, Richard Heintze wrote:
        > > May I confirm here?
        > >
        > > Let's assume I get the USB keyboards and multiplexer
        > > or the Y connector for PS/2 keyboards and 2 PS/2
        > > keyboards (http://kinesis-ergo.com/other_adap.htm).
        > >
        > > MS Windows (or Linux) is going to think all the
        > > keystrokes are coming from a single keyboard and not
        > > multiple keyboards? MSWindows is also going to think
        > > there is a single mouse and not muliple mice?
        > >
        > > Furthermore, I need no special software for this?
        >
        > The purpose of the PS/2-Y adapter is to trick the computer into
        > thinking a single keyboard is connected when two actually are. It
        > certainly works that way under Win32 -- no additional software
        > required. I assume it works the same under linux but I've not tested
        > this directly.

        Using Fedora Core 2 test 3 I can connect as many USB mice/keyboards
        and they all work in tandem. Not sure if older distributions work in
        this way, but they may..

        --
        Paul Lindner ||||| | | | | | | | | |
        lindner@...