RE: [extremeperl] Hardware for multiple keyboards and mice on Windows

  • Richard Heintze
    Message 1 of 6 , May 10, 2004
      May I confirm here?

      Let's assume I get the USB keyboards and multiplexer
      or the Y connector for PS/2 keyboards and 2 PS/2
      keyboards (http://kinesis-ergo.com/other_adap.htm).

      MS Windows (or Linux) is going to think all the
      keystrokes are coming from a single keyboard and not
      multiple keyboards? MSWindows is also going to think
      there is a single mouse and not muliple mice?

      Furthermore, I need no special software for this?

      --- Greg Compestine <gcompestine@...>
      wrote:
      > To: <extremeperl@yahoogroups.com>
      > From: "Greg Compestine"
      > <gcompestine@...>
      > Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 16:58:22 -0700
      > Subject: RE: [extremeperl] Hardware for multiple
      >

      > You can use USB keyboards and get a USB multiplexer
      > to hook in as many
      > as you want.
      >
      > There are dual monitor video cards on the market
      > (Matrox makes one, the
      > Nvidea Quatro4 200 also works), but with Windows
      > you'll still only have
      > one keyboard and mouse focus on the screen.

    • Chris Winters
      Message 2 of 6 , May 10, 2004
        On May 10, 2004, at 5:51 PM, Richard Heintze wrote:
        > May I confirm here?
        >
        > Let's assume I get the USB keyboards and multiplexer
        > or the Y connector for PS/2 keyboards and 2 PS/2
        > keyboards (http://kinesis-ergo.com/other_adap.htm).
        >
        > MS Windows (or Linux) is going to think all the
        > keystrokes are coming from a single keyboard and not
        > multiple keyboards? MSWindows is also going to think
        > there is a single mouse and not muliple mice?
        >
        > Furthermore, I need no special software for this?

        The purpose of the PS/2-Y adapter is to trick the computer into
        thinking a single keyboard is connected when two actually are. It
        certainly works that way under Win32 -- no additional software
        required. I assume it works the same under linux but I've not tested
        this directly.

        Chris

        --
        Chris Winters
        Creating enterprise-capable snack systems since 1988
        Message 3 of 6 , May 10, 2004
          On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 06:02:47PM -0400, Chris Winters wrote:
          > On May 10, 2004, at 5:51 PM, Richard Heintze wrote:
          > > May I confirm here?
          > >
          > > Let's assume I get the USB keyboards and multiplexer
          > > or the Y connector for PS/2 keyboards and 2 PS/2
          > > keyboards (http://kinesis-ergo.com/other_adap.htm).
          > >
          > > MS Windows (or Linux) is going to think all the
          > > keystrokes are coming from a single keyboard and not
          > > multiple keyboards? MSWindows is also going to think
          > > there is a single mouse and not muliple mice?
          > >
          > > Furthermore, I need no special software for this?
          >
          > The purpose of the PS/2-Y adapter is to trick the computer into
          > thinking a single keyboard is connected when two actually are. It
          > certainly works that way under Win32 -- no additional software
          > required. I assume it works the same under linux but I've not tested
          > this directly.

          Using Fedora Core 2 test 3 I can connect as many USB mice/keyboards
          and they all work in tandem. Not sure if older distributions work in
          this way, but they may..

          --
          Paul Lindner ||||| | | | | | | | | |
          lindner@...