Re: [extremeperl] Hardware for multiple keyboards and mice on Windows

  • Chris Winters
    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2004
      On May 7, 2004, at 5:52 PM, Sieg_Heintze wrote:
      > Presently my motherboard only has one receptical for a single
      > keyboard. What hardware do I need to buy for my new computer to
      > accommodate multiple keyboards for pair programming on windows? Can
      > we each have our own mouse too?

      If you're using PS/2 keyboards you can use the Y-key adapter:

      http://kinesis-ergo.com/other_adap.htm

      It allows you to use both keyboards at once. I have one at work because
      I use the kinesis ergo contoured keyboard and nobody else can. It works
      pretty well except for some skittishness at startup -- sometimes it
      doesn't initialize one of the keyboards -- but it's easy to work
      around. But since it's $60, if you don't have someone using a special
      keyboard you're probably better off just getting two USB keyboards...

      Now I just need to get people to pair...

      Chris

      --
      Chris Winters
      Creating enterprise-capable snack systems since 1988
      Message 2 of 6 , May 10, 2004
        May I confirm here?

        Let's assume I get the USB keyboards and multiplexer
        or the Y connector for PS/2 keyboards and 2 PS/2
        keyboards (http://kinesis-ergo.com/other_adap.htm).

        MS Windows (or Linux) is going to think all the
        keystrokes are coming from a single keyboard and not
        multiple keyboards? MSWindows is also going to think
        there is a single mouse and not muliple mice?

        Furthermore, I need no special software for this?

        --- Greg Compestine <gcompestine@...>
        wrote:
        > To: <extremeperl@yahoogroups.com>
        > From: "Greg Compestine"
        > <gcompestine@...>
        > Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 16:58:22 -0700
        > Subject: RE: [extremeperl] Hardware for multiple
        >

        > You can use USB keyboards and get a USB multiplexer
        > to hook in as many
        > as you want.
        >
        > There are dual monitor video cards on the market
        > (Matrox makes one, the
        > Nvidea Quatro4 200 also works), but with Windows
        > you'll still only have
        > one keyboard and mouse focus on the screen.

      • Chris Winters
        Message 3 of 6 , May 10, 2004
          On May 10, 2004, at 5:51 PM, Richard Heintze wrote:
          > May I confirm here?
          >
          > Let's assume I get the USB keyboards and multiplexer
          > or the Y connector for PS/2 keyboards and 2 PS/2
          > keyboards (http://kinesis-ergo.com/other_adap.htm).
          >
          > MS Windows (or Linux) is going to think all the
          > keystrokes are coming from a single keyboard and not
          > multiple keyboards? MSWindows is also going to think
          > there is a single mouse and not muliple mice?
          >
          > Furthermore, I need no special software for this?

          The purpose of the PS/2-Y adapter is to trick the computer into
          thinking a single keyboard is connected when two actually are. It
          certainly works that way under Win32 -- no additional software
          required. I assume it works the same under linux but I've not tested
          this directly.

          Chris

          --
          Chris Winters
          Creating enterprise-capable snack systems since 1988
        • Paul Lindner
          Message 4 of 6 , May 10, 2004
            On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 06:02:47PM -0400, Chris Winters wrote:
            > On May 10, 2004, at 5:51 PM, Richard Heintze wrote:
            > > May I confirm here?
            > >
            > > Let's assume I get the USB keyboards and multiplexer
            > > or the Y connector for PS/2 keyboards and 2 PS/2
            > > keyboards (http://kinesis-ergo.com/other_adap.htm).
            > >
            > > MS Windows (or Linux) is going to think all the
            > > keystrokes are coming from a single keyboard and not
            > > multiple keyboards? MSWindows is also going to think
            > > there is a single mouse and not muliple mice?
            > >
            > > Furthermore, I need no special software for this?
            >
            > The purpose of the PS/2-Y adapter is to trick the computer into
            > thinking a single keyboard is connected when two actually are. It
            > certainly works that way under Win32 -- no additional software
            > required. I assume it works the same under linux but I've not tested
            > this directly.

            Using Fedora Core 2 test 3 I can connect as many USB mice/keyboards
            and they all work in tandem. Not sure if older distributions work in
            this way, but they may..

            --
            Paul Lindner ||||| | | | | | | | | |
            lindner@...