RE: [extremeperl] Hardware for multiple keyboards and mice on Windows

  • Greg Compestine
    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2004
      You can use USB keyboards and get a USB multiplexer to hook in as many
      as you want.

      There are dual monitor video cards on the market (Matrox makes one, the
      Nvidea Quatro4 200 also works), but with Windows you'll still only have
      one keyboard and mouse focus on the screen.

      Message 2 of 6 , May 7, 2004
        On May 7, 2004, at 5:52 PM, Sieg_Heintze wrote:
        > Presently my motherboard only has one receptical for a single
        > keyboard. What hardware do I need to buy for my new computer to
        > accommodate multiple keyboards for pair programming on windows? Can
        > we each have our own mouse too?

        If you're using PS/2 keyboards you can use the Y-key adapter:

        http://kinesis-ergo.com/other_adap.htm

        It allows you to use both keyboards at once. I have one at work because
        I use the kinesis ergo contoured keyboard and nobody else can. It works
        pretty well except for some skittishness at startup -- sometimes it
        doesn't initialize one of the keyboards -- but it's easy to work
        around. But since it's $60, if you don't have someone using a special
        keyboard you're probably better off just getting two USB keyboards...

        Now I just need to get people to pair...

        Chris

        --
        Chris Winters
        Creating enterprise-capable snack systems since 1988
        Message 3 of 6 , May 10, 2004
          May I confirm here?

          Let's assume I get the USB keyboards and multiplexer
          or the Y connector for PS/2 keyboards and 2 PS/2
          keyboards (http://kinesis-ergo.com/other_adap.htm).

          MS Windows (or Linux) is going to think all the
          keystrokes are coming from a single keyboard and not
          multiple keyboards? MSWindows is also going to think
          there is a single mouse and not muliple mice?

          Furthermore, I need no special software for this?

          --- Greg Compestine <gcompestine@...>
          wrote:
          > To: <extremeperl@yahoogroups.com>
          > From: "Greg Compestine"
          > <gcompestine@...>
          > Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 16:58:22 -0700
          > Subject: RE: [extremeperl] Hardware for multiple
          >

          > You can use USB keyboards and get a USB multiplexer
          > to hook in as many
          > as you want.
          >
          > There are dual monitor video cards on the market
          > (Matrox makes one, the
          > Nvidea Quatro4 200 also works), but with Windows
          > you'll still only have
          > one keyboard and mouse focus on the screen.

        • Chris Winters
          Message 4 of 6 , May 10, 2004
            On May 10, 2004, at 5:51 PM, Richard Heintze wrote:
            > May I confirm here?
            >
            > Let's assume I get the USB keyboards and multiplexer
            > or the Y connector for PS/2 keyboards and 2 PS/2
            > keyboards (http://kinesis-ergo.com/other_adap.htm).
            >
            > MS Windows (or Linux) is going to think all the
            > keystrokes are coming from a single keyboard and not
            > multiple keyboards? MSWindows is also going to think
            > there is a single mouse and not muliple mice?
            >
            > Furthermore, I need no special software for this?

            The purpose of the PS/2-Y adapter is to trick the computer into
            thinking a single keyboard is connected when two actually are. It
            certainly works that way under Win32 -- no additional software
            required. I assume it works the same under linux but I've not tested
            this directly.

            Chris

            --
            Chris Winters
            Creating enterprise-capable snack systems since 1988
          • Paul Lindner
            Message 5 of 6 , May 10, 2004
              On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 06:02:47PM -0400, Chris Winters wrote:
              > On May 10, 2004, at 5:51 PM, Richard Heintze wrote:
              > > May I confirm here?
              > >
              > > Let's assume I get the USB keyboards and multiplexer
              > > or the Y connector for PS/2 keyboards and 2 PS/2
              > > keyboards (http://kinesis-ergo.com/other_adap.htm).
              > >
              > > MS Windows (or Linux) is going to think all the
              > > keystrokes are coming from a single keyboard and not
              > > multiple keyboards? MSWindows is also going to think
              > > there is a single mouse and not muliple mice?
              > >
              > > Furthermore, I need no special software for this?
              >
              > The purpose of the PS/2-Y adapter is to trick the computer into
              > thinking a single keyboard is connected when two actually are. It
              > certainly works that way under Win32 -- no additional software
              > required. I assume it works the same under linux but I've not tested
              > this directly.

              Using Fedora Core 2 test 3 I can connect as many USB mice/keyboards
              and they all work in tandem. Not sure if older distributions work in
              this way, but they may..

              --
              Paul Lindner ||||| | | | | | | | | |
              lindner@...